Staying safe when online may seem overwhelming. Everything that connects to the Internet can get hacked. However, here are things you can do to mitigate your risk.
- Always update your operating system (OS) and other software. When companies discover vulnerabilities in their software they send out security patches to solve the problem.
- Download up-to-date security programs, including antivirus and anti-malware software, anti-spyware, and a firewall.
- Don’t use public WiFi. Protect your WiFi with an encrypted password, and refresh it every few years. Today’s routers make it easy to frequently change your password.
- Password protect all of your devices, including your desktop, laptop, phone, smartwatch, tablet, and IOT (Internet of Things) devices. Create difficult passwords and change them frequently. Don’t use the same password for more than one account. (Or use a password manager like LastPass.)
- Use two-factor authentication which requires you to not only enter a password but to also confirm entry with another item like a code texted to a phone.
- Practice smart emailing. Phishing campaigns still exist. Hover over links to see the actual email address of the sender. Don’t open attachments unless you’re 100% sure of where they came from.
- Practice smart browsing. Encrypted sites are the safest ones to visit. You know they are safe when you see HTTPS in the URL, and the lock icon on your browser. If you suspect a hacker, do a quick search on the Internet for the subject line.
- Log out of accounts when you’re done with them. Simply closing the browser window isn’t enough.
- Don’t link accounts. This allows services to get a lot of your personal information – for example when a site asks you to sign in with your Facebook account.
- Keep sensitive data off public cloud services. Very few cloud storage solutions offer encryption for data at rest.
Want more tips on keeping safe online? Or, better yet – do you need a partner that can help you build a more secure business? Contact Imagis today by emailing us at info@ImagisInnovations.com or calling 866.462.4474.